Holy Childhood of Jesus School
This Indian school was founded in 1829 by Father Pierre Dejean, who came here with two teachers, Miss Elizabeth Williams and Joseph L'Etorneau. The Indians built a church and the first school building, a hewn-log structure 46' by 20'. The school was both a boarding and day school, with 25 boarders in its initial enrollment of 63 Indian boys and girls, who were taught, in French, the three "R's" and vocational skills. Father Dejean was followed in 1831 by Father Frederic Baraga, the future "Apostle of the Ottawas and Chippewas." Under the Franciscan Fathers, who arrived in 1884, and the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who came in 1886, the school continues to serve the state and community caring for Indian children.