VFW National Home
In 1923 the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) initiated a plan to build a national home for families of deceased and disabled American veterans, The following year a Jackson Michigan cattleman made his Ingham County ranch available for the site of the home. A complex of buildings was erected on the property. Since the facility provided homes for families outside of Michigan, it received support from veterans groups across the country, who donated money for the construction of "cottage" residences. The VFW sought to keep families intact, furnish a homelife similar to that enjoyed by other American families, and teach self-sufficiency and independence. This remains the only privately funded home for veterans' children and grand-children in the United States that is national in scope.