In 1941 the women of the American Legion Auxiliary established Wolverine Girls' State. The organization's original purpose was "to find and develop girls who show inherent tendencies toward leadership." The first Girls' State meeting was held in June 1941 at the University of Michigan
in Ann Arbor. The eight-day program included sessions on entertaining, etiquette, drama, nursing, art and music appreciation and citizenship. In 1952, to accommodate women's changing roles, the auxiliary shifted the organization's focus to inform girls about 'the duties, privileges, rights and responsibilities of American citizenship and self -government'. Girls' Nation was established in 1947.