Around 1825 William A. Burt
led members of the Stony Creek Masonic Lodge in petitioning the Grand Lodge of Michigan for a charter. The grand master, Governor Lewis Cass, approved the charter in June 1827. In response to anti-Masonic fervor sweeping the nation, however, the Grand Lodge suspended operations from 1829 to 1841, delaying the granting of Stony Creek's charter. Due to the efforts of tavern keeper Daniel B. Taylor, Stony Creek Lodge continued to meet during that time. It was the only Michigan lodge to do so. The group had originally held meetings in a log schoolhouse, and later in people's homes. In 1844 the lodge was reconstituted, and in 1849 members dedicated the first Masonic temple in the state. In 1853 the lodge relocated in Rochester.