The Michigan Stove
At the close of the nineteenth century Detroit was "The Stove Capital of the World." As the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago approached, The Michigan Stove Company, founded by Jeremiah Dwyer in 1872, decided to build a "Mamoth Garland" stove for its exhibit in the Manufacturers and Liberal Arts Building. Michigan Stove vice president George H. Barbour, who also served on the fair's national board, sponsored the project. Designed by William J. Keep, the wooden structure weighed fifteen tons and measured 25 feet high, 30 feet long and 20 feet wide. A colossal exhibit, it stood on a platform with real stoves beneath. After the exposition, the stove was reassembled beside the Michigan Stove factory at Adair and East Jefferson in Detroit.