Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
In 1940 the U.S. Army and the Chrysler Corporation hired Detroit architect Albert Kahn to design a self-contained tank plant. Kahn specialized in factories. In 1941 he designed 20 million square feet of defense plants. The first tank rolled off the assembly line at the sprawling Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant on April 24, 1941, amid cheering spectators. The December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor thrust the U.S. into the Second World War and tank workers into round-the-clock production. President Franklin Roosevelt and his wife Eleanor inspected the plant in September 1942. Two months later workers set the monthly record for all U.S. plants by producing 896 tanks. Tank production ended here in 1997.