David Whitney Building
Opened in 1915, this building was named for David Whitney, Jr. (1830-1900), a Detroit lumber, real estate and shipping magnate. During construction the Detroit Free Press called it the "finest in the country." Daniel H. Burnham and Company designed the structure with retail on the first four floors, including clothing stores and jewelers. A central four story atrium allowed light into the interior of the upper-floor offices, most of which were medical. When the Whitney family sold the building in 196, more that three hundred doctors and dentists had offices here. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Grand Circus Park Historic District in 1938. It reopened in 2014, rehabilitated for use as a hotel and apartments.