Mount Evergreen Cemetery
In 1843 Jackson’s village council purchased land from Eunice Dygert to establish public burial grounds in the village. The grounds were officially named Mount Evergreen Cemetery in 1879. The Greenwood Wall on the west side of the cemetery was built in 1873 and rebuilt in 1980 using the original wall’s stones. The cemetery contains the gravesites of several individuals who were involved with the Underground Railroad. Emma Nichols, a freedom seeker who fled from a plantation in Virginia and achieved her freedom through the secret network, is buried in the cemetery. She lived on Biddle Street in Jackson with her husband Richard Nichols, a barber who had also attained his freedom with the help of the Underground Railroad.