Michigan Technological University
In 1885 the state established a mining school here in America's first great metal mining region. As the Michigan College of Mines, it achieved world-wide renown as a center of education and research in mining, metallurgy, and geology. In 1927 and again in 1964 its name was changed and its scope was broadened to meet industry's expanding needs. Under its present name, Michigan Technological University, it enrolls men and women in undergraduate and graduate programs in its original subjects and other branches of engineering, science, business, forestry, and liberal arts.